Wednesday 21 September 2011

Should i buy a new car or change the old head gasket on my old car?

My current car needs a new head gasket which is estimated to cost about 拢600, should i just buy a new car (i usually buy cars for around 拢700 as im a student) my car is a rover 400 saloon.Should i buy a new car or change the old head gasket on my old car?If it were me...I would do the head gasket myself and save about 500.



You should learn how to maintain your vehicles regardless of what you drive. I just did a head gasket for my daughter, and it took maybe 2 hours, but I was already familiar with the engine.
Should i buy a new car or change the old head gasket on my old car?
You need to weigh up a few things.



Firstly, did the car pass it's last MOT without problems and at the last annual service, did it need any costly work being done?



You don't say how old your car is (I too own a Rover), but there comes a point when the car is going to be getting older and it will require pricey work done at the next service (my exhaust is on the way, plus the fan belts too - argh!).



You need to weigh up the cost of the HG replacement and the cost of next years service (if last year the service set you back about 300pounds, you could be looking at similar).



Another thing to keep in mind is that Rover body parts are now *very* hard to find. My mechanic told me that if someone were to hit my car and cause a big dent, it would be declared a write-off (although on another car it would simply be repaired).



I guess what I'm really trying to say is there comes a point when you have to stop spending money on a car of a certain age and you need to work out if your car has reached that %26quot;certain age%26quot;.
Should i buy a new car or change the old head gasket on my old car?
First of all ignore pink's answer. A rocker gasket and head gasket are 2 completely different things.



I'd do the repair if the rest of the cars ok. 拢700 will get you anoher very old car that could have its own problems.



However dont pay that much for the job. I'd of thought nearer 拢400 would be right.
DO THIS IF YOU KNOW MUCH ABOUT CHANGING GASKETS YOU TAKE THE ROCKER COVER OFF AND REPLACE FOR 700 THATS ALOT THEY TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF BUT I TELL YOU A REALLY GOOD CAR NEVER BUY ENGLISH OR FORDS AND OTHER RUBBISH CARS LIKE THEM BUY GERMAN OR JAPANESE CAR THEY ARE REILABLE THEY WILL LAST FOR EVER ERM I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE JAPANESE CAR BUT I MYSELF OWN A VW CORRADO AND ITS DONE 300 000 MILES AND STILL SOLID NO PROBLEMS SO YES GET A VW POLO ON AUTOTRADER YOU CAN GET SOME CHEAP ONES THEY ARE VERY GOOD I CAN SAY THAT AGAIN ROVERS ARE RUBBISH NOONE BUYS THEM GO FOR VW POLO YOU GET THEM FOR ABOUT 700 OR A BIT MORE :)
if its a k SERIES engine they get replaced with land rover head gaskets which or much stronger but would be worth fitting a p p r t to the car for all the cost and effort just bin it and bye a throw away car like a corsa lol or bye a micra they last forever
buy a new car because you dont know whats going to go wrong next plus 拢700 car with 拢600 repair is a write off in my eyes scrap it start again
  • favorite shampoo conditioner
  • transfer file
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment