Saturday 24 September 2011

What do I need to change a head gasket?

Hello everyone, I am going to be changing the head gaskets in my 98 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L V-8. Besides all the tools I'll need and of course the head gasket, what parts and supplies will I need to get the job done without having to leave the house to grab a forgotten part. Also what should I take advantage of while I have the engine apart as in like replacing other parts or beefing up anything or any other type of preventative maintenance. One more question: am I gonna have to remove all the pulleys / timing cover area towards the front of the engine to get the heads out or could all that be left in?What do I need to change a head gasket?While I am unfamiliar with the particular car you will have to remove the timing belt. Once you have the heads off, you will need to have them resurfaced by a machinist. Otherwise, odds are the gasket will not hold up. You will also need intake and exhaust gaskets.

While you are in there, if you remove the oil pan you can ridge ream the cylinders and remove the pistons to replace the rings. Then usually new rod bearings at the bottom. The cylinders must be honed so the new rings will seat. This is what you could do, but it is a lot more work and should only be done if your engine is running poorly and burning oil. Even then, it will be necessary to meansure cylinder wear to see whether new rings will help.

Just do the gaskets. And scrape any carbon off the tops of the pistons.

No comments:

Post a Comment